Sunday, May 10, 2015

Honey!!! Stop the car!

Isn't home shopping fun?  Heck, my wife and I still love looking at open houses even though we're not in the market to buy right now. "Just browsing" is an exciting thing to do!  

We love seeing the upgrades, stealing new decorating ideas, and just being inspired to keep our home looking its best.  
Chapman Heights Real Estate Yucaipa
"Honey!  Stop the car!  I LOVE this neighborhood!  I'd love to live here!"
However, if you are actually in the market to buy a home, please take a moment to pause and think about this: Before you walk into that Open House, fall in love, then write your very best offer...stop. Stop for just 30 seconds and think.  Who does the agent holding the home open work for?  Does he or she work for you, or does he or she actually have a fiduciary responsibility to the sellers? Below is a statement taken directly from the National Association of Realtor's website, briefly touching on the fiduciary duties of Realtors.
The image above is taken directly from the National Association of Realtor's website.
Now that you've paused and put a little distance between the emotion of the moment and making intelligent decisions for your future, simply ask the agent this question.  "So...is this your listing?"  If the agent says, "No!" then there's no reason (taking for granted that they're experienced and effective) not to use that agent.  If the agent holding the Open House says "Yes.", then his or her loyalty goes first to the home sellers.  The agent is representing, protecting, and negotiating on behalf of the home sellers.  How can he or she give you that same level of service?

Look at it this way for a minute.  When you walk into the Ford dealership and you're going to spend $40,000 on a new SUV, you know that the salespeople works for Ford.  They represent Ford and Ford's interest.  The same holds true for a listing agents.  He or she represent the sellers and the sellers' interests.  If that agent tells you that they can advocate and negotiate for each of you equally...is that agent actually, ethically representing the sellers?  Meeting in the middle is NOT negotiating.

So what should you do?  Simply walk away and call another Realtor; a local area expert who does NOT have an ethical and professional loyalty to another party.  Go ahead.  Look at the property. Grab a flier. Fall in love with the place.  Even decide you want to buy it.  But don't move forward until you have someone in your corner, representing you, exclusively.

Click here to read the Realtor's fiduciary duties directly from the National Association of Realtors website.

Yes.  I too hold Open Houses.  In fact, its one of my favorite parts of my job.  That said, whenever possible, I hold a colleague's listing open, and I make that known as soon as folks walk through the door.  "Hi!  I'm Andy.  This is not my listing.  It's in the capable hands of one of my colleagues.  I, however, would love to exclusively represent YOU in the event that you like what you see."

I believe that the home buying process will be safer, more effective, and more efficient with your own Realtor on your team!

I say and write this often, "Don't wonder! ASK!"  

Thanks in advance for remembering my name when the topic of Real Estate comes up in conversation.  If you're local , just remember Andy@LoisLauer.Com I'm always here to help.  


My business thrives by word of mouth.  If you appreciate the information provided on my blog, please share this post on your favorite social media sites, and with anyone you feel could use my service.

Until next time.


















Andy Blasquez  Cell ~ 909.539.3292
BRE#01826135
Please follow and share at YucaipaRealEstateTrends on Facebook
E-mail me on Andy.Blasquez@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment